Appendix Removal Surgery
Laparoscopic Appendectomy in Reston VA
A Laparoscopic Appendectomy is a minimally invasive surgical procedure to remove a diseased appendix. This procedure involves the use of very small incisions and a small camera to provide the surgeon with an enhanced view of the surgical site. Dr. Sachse provides appendix removal surgery on patients in the areas of Reston, Hattontown, Great Falls and other surrounding areas.
Advantages of a Laparoscopic Appendectomy
Having a diseased appendix removed via minimally invasive laparoscopic surgery can provide the following benefits:
- Reduced postoperative pain
- Shortened hospital stay
- Faster return to bowel function
- Faster return to work and normal activities
- Reduced potential for infection
- Improved cosmetic results
About the procedure
In most laparoscopic appendectomies, surgeons operate through 3 small incisions in the lower abdomen, each one quarter to one half inch long. Surgical instruments, as well as a television camera (laparoscope), are inserted through these incisions and the procedure is performed while observing the internal organs via a television monitor.
In some cases, one of the small incisions may be lengthened to 2 or 3 inches to complete the procedure. This operation is usually performed with general anesthesia or occasionally using regional or spinal anesthesia.
Although laparoscopic appendectomy has many benefits, it may not be appropriate for the following reasons:
- Extensive infection and/or abscess
- A perforated or ruptured appendix
- A history of prior abdominal surgery causing dense scar tissue
- Inability to visualize organs
- Bleeding problems during the operation
Appendectomy Procedure near Ashburn VA
Call Dr. Sachse at (571) 512-5300 to schedule an appointment or to learn more about appendectomy and appendicitis.